Support this blog

Sleepless - Find me on Bloggers.com

Saturday, October 30, 2010

a ray of hope for accessibility

I still haven't been able to solve my issue with the audio option for the word verification on here, which means that I still can't post comments on most of your blogs. Personally I deactivated that option, since I figure that as long as I have comment moderation, no spam is gonna get through anyway. Besides, if a visually impaired person by any chance should find my blog, it would be rediculous for me to have it activated when I'm aware of that it rarely works. I don't understand how blogger can be so negligent when it comes to accessibility! They obviously haven't heard that 2010 is the year of accessibility. Though that could actually be something that is unique for Sweden. I'm not sure to tell you the truth. But if it is; it's definitely time for the rest of the world to catch up!
Anyway, I didn't name the post "a ray of hope for accessibility" to keep complaining. But actually to let you know that there's a site called:
Webvisum.com, which is suppose to have a software that can help the visually impaired to solve the problem with capchas. It only works with firefox, so I guess I'll have to change my browser as well, but it'll be worth it a million times over, if I can get rid of this dayly frustration with neither being able to post comments nor follow blogs. Or at least not unless my son is in the mood to read the visual capcha. He is actually really nice about it, but I don't wanna ask him too often. How many 13-year-olds do you know who wants to sit around and read stupid word verifications all day long, so that their moms can post comments on a bunch of blogs that is of no relevance when you're 13? We have yet to see how good it'll work, since I need an invitation code to be able to download the software, but I'm hopeful at least, and that's a good feeling.
Oh and there's another thing on the bright side of accessibility as well. I almost forgot about that. But Bodog finally wrote us back, and they'll be looking into the matter with making their site accessible. I know we're not even half way there, but at least now there's a ray of hope for our:
Accessible Poker Project

4 comments:

CatPurry said...

I can imagine your frustration with captcha. I sometimes have to do it 2 or 3 times before i get it right, if ever. I am blind in one eye due to retinal degeneration and the other has it and had laser treatment but now cataracts too. Very hard to see letters thru the fog and teensy tiny print everywhere. But I love the computer too much to stop coming here. Keep up the good work you are doing. Love your blog!

RbMommy said...

Thanks for stopping by. I know what you mean there. I keep coming back as well, and I get to read a lot of interesting stuff at least, even if it's annoying not to be able to comment a lot of the time. Thanks for your kind words. I hope to see you back soon again, smile.

nothing profound said...

Captcha can be pretty fickle. I've sometimes given up after 10 to 12 tries, when I know I'm typing the right script in. People often complain that they can't leave a comment on my blog because of the word verification. But since I don't know how to disable it, I've kept it as is.

RbMommy said...

Yeah a lot of people have issues with the capchas, I know it's not just me. If you want to turn it off for your blog, you can just klick settings, and then comments, and change the options to no word verification in there. Thanks for stopping by, smile.