Support this blog

Sleepless - Find me on Bloggers.com

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I guess I'll follow the trend after all

Up until now I've refused point blank to follow the trend, and start blogging like everybody else, but I guess new experiences will enrich the mind, so I'll give it a shot after all.
I'm new to this obviously, so bear with me. I'm sure I'll get better at it as soon as I've gotten some practice in.
It's kind of funny, cause I don't even read blogs, but I'm pretty good at bothering my friends with all kinds of random thoughts, and since I'm currently unemployed, i figured I might as well try to bother the whole world while I'm at it.

Ah well, if it's any consolation there's not the slightest chance that I'll be posting every day or anything like that. Simply because I don't want this to turn into one of my obligations. God knows I have enough of those as it is.
I'm not gonna bore you by talking about them though. Instead, I figured I'd let you know a little bit about who I am.

So this is me. Finally old enough to know better, and still young enough not to care. I have lots of interests, such as: poker, poker, and more poker.
Nah just kidding, you can ad books, movies, music and quality time with friends and family to that list.. But yeh, I admit it, I'm adicted. Though I've been so busy with my ambition to make online poker accessible to the blind and visually impaired community lately, that I've barely had any time to play at all.
You can read more about Accessible Poker here
Hmm, what else do I like... Oh to travel, preferably to some place warmer than here, to meet new people, learn new languages, and make new friends...
Oh and then there's showdown of course. If you haven't tried it, you should! It's kind of the blind comunities answer to airhockey, and it's fun! I'm currently on the national team, which frequently gives me reason to combine my interest for Showdown with my passion for traveling.
Yes, If you haven't figured that out by now, I'm blind, but I don't let that hinder me in any way. I know that I can do anything that a sighted person can do, as long as I have access to the same information. Where there's a will there's a way.
I also have a profound interest for human rights, especially those of our children. I'm a member of several organizations with their interest at heart, Hence why you'll find sevral posts about child abuse on this blog.. No child should have to go to bed scared or hungry!
Babies are born every day into homes where they're not wanted, but there are several people who would be glad to care for them and, who have tried for years to get the chance to make a little one happy. I'm sorry, but parents who deliberately hurt and, or neglect their children do not deserve second chances. There are explanations, but no excuses, anyone can break the cycle of abuse if they set their mind to it.
I despise all types of drugs and, work against those where and, when ever I get the chance. I've seen way to often what a sip here, a drag there, and maybe a hit too many will do to people, who otherwise wouldn't have any evil in them. Yet they'll go on hurting the ones who love them, without any visible remorse, cause after all, they have access to some of the most affective painkillers in the world.
Lately I've also added blogging to my necessities. Probably because I wanna change the world, but no worries, I'm not naive enough to think that I'll be able to. Writing down what I think is wrong with it will however at least give me a chance to enlighten others and learn at the same time.
I figure if I can get just 1 person to report a case of child abuse, ´find adequat help for their addiction, know what to expect while supporting a friend or loved one through rehab, or perhaps just to sign a petition against racism... Well then I've accomplished a lot more than I otherwise would have. And that's not even mentioning that I have an excelent opportunity to get people to realise that all blind people aren't poor helpless creatures in need of 24 hour assistance...

Set yourself free from anything that might hinder you in becoming the person you want to be. Free yourself from the uncertainties about your abilities or the worth of your dreams, from the fears that you may not be able to achieve them or that they won't be what you wanted.
Set yourself free from the past. The good things from yesterday are still yours in memory; the things you want to forget you will, for tomorrow is only a sunrise away. Free yourself from regret or guilt, and promise to live this day as fully as you can.
Set yourself free from the expectations of others, and never feel guilty or embarrassed if you do not live up to their standards. You are most important to yourself; live by what you feel is best and right for you. Others will come to respect your integrity and honesty.
Set yourself free to simply be yourself, and you will soar higher than you've ever dreamed.

No comments: